USA: Colombia is a country rich in diversity, generosity and experiences

22/1/15
By Gabe Beadle USA
Traveler

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.When Mark Twain wrote these iconic words, he may as well have been referring to a visit to Colombia. Colombia is a country rich in diversity, generosity and experience, all of which certainly leave a lasting impact on the willing mind.

➨ Keep connected with Shape Colombia on Facebook


With two beautiful coasts (Pacific & Caribbean), the city of the year (Medellin), desert, snow capped mountains, a sprawling coffee region and adventure sports everyplace you look, Colombia does not fail to amaze with its outdoor activities and picturesque landscapes. However, the real richness of Colombia lies in its people. At times curious and inquisitive while other times eager to share their rich background and history, Colombians are always ready and willing to lend a helping hand. In all my time traveling, I have not met a more open and amicable group. It is in interacting with these people that Shape Colombia has provided me with an incredible opportunity.

I came to Bogota to teach with Shape Colombia in April 2014. While I had met many Colombians while traveling prior, it wasn't until this time that I really got to know and appreciate them for their true value. In my time, I was fortunate to have the opportunity to teach hundreds of students age 6-18, as well as work with innumerable amazing teachers. The vast majority of my students had never met a gringo or any other foreigner before, let alone had one as a teacher. I recall very vividly my first week of class I had a young student write, in permanent marker, Stay here foreber on the whiteboard. I knew straight away that I was in a place where I could leave a meaningful, lasting impact (and work on some spelling!).



While working with my students, I did not use a normal classroom approach. The whole idea of the project is to immerse the students in culture, language and interaction while teaching them important life values and concepts. Learning becomes fun, and the students compete, laugh and maybe Ras Tas Tas (Colombian World Cup dance) while doing so.

I had the freedom to develop classes however I saw fit. Creativity is a necessity, it is the means in which the students not only learn and grow, but express themselves in new and exciting ways. We played games, sang and danced all while exploring varied topics such Peace Week, MLK JR Day, Peace and Friendship, soccer (of course), personality and food. My students entered class with a smile and left with a fist bump, gaining a better understanding of culture and language in between.

I would be remiss if I said teaching in a Bogota public school is all hugs and happiness. Of course, with every project, with every task, there are challenges. Supplies can be lacking, students can be temperamental, and Bogota weather can be, uhhh, indecisive. However, the struggles and the challenges are certainly worth the rewards.

This is an amazing time of renovation and social progress in Colombia, peace is on the horizon and heavy investment is being poured into infrastructure, globalization and education. Shape Colombia is an incredible opportunity to positively impact the lives of young students, Colombians who will be empowered to continue the positive change into the future.

Teaching and working with Rolos (Bogotanians) has been an unforgettable experience. It has opened my mind and taught me much about myself. It has been an outlet for creative energy inside the classroom and exploration outside. I would invite anyone who wants to make a sincerely positive impact and who likes to challenge their prejudices and preconceived notions to think about joining Shape Colombia. It is an experience that you will neither forget nor regret.

 Apply for Shape Colombia and have a great experience with us as well.

P.S.: The food here is AMAZING.

See more photos: 


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario